Thursday, September 11, 2008

So, here we are

We arrived in Mons last Friday, so we've been here nearly a week. I think, anyway. I'm not entirely sure whether it's Wednesday or Thursday. I could find out, but where's the fun in that? I quite like the fact that I've lost track of the days. I don't think there's every been a time that I didn't actually NEED to know what day it is - even at uni, I had to know whether it was a Monday or a Tuesday. Not in order to go to my lectures, you understand, but for my social life - because, let's face it, turning up to Echoes 'nightclub' on a Tuesday instead of a Monday would have been a faux pas indeed. So, I'm not entirely sure what day it is. I think scratching marks into the wall to show how many days have passed might not be recieved too well by Ben, and besides, I'd only get confused about whether I'd made a scratch yet for today or not. It's a veritable can of worms.* Also, if I was that bothered, we could get a calendar. In fact, we've got one. A wall planner thing that my dad gave me. But that's not the point.
Moving on. My aims for this next year in Mons were to:
  • Write a novel
  • Learn to draw
  • Learn to speak French fluently
So far I have not written anything, my sketchpad remains under the bed in the box it arrived here in, and French, it turns out, is a lot harder to learn than I originally anticipated. I don't really have much cause to speak French to anyone - unless you count saying "Je suis desolee, je ne pas parle francais" roughly four or five times a day. Having said that, I did have a somewhat stilted conversation yesterday afternoon with a man about binbags - if just for the pure, unadulterated joy of saying 'sac poubelle' over and over again. In fact, I just wrote the whole incident out in a message to my friend, so I'll just reproduce it here. Ah, my beloved copy and paste, the last refuge of the lazy.

Basically in Mons they have different bin bags for everything. And if you don't put your rubbish in the correct bag, they leave it, or worse, they throw it at your door. I imagine. I haven't seen any proof of this - they all just look the type. But they don't sell these 'sac poubelles' in the shops. I'm still yet to work out exactly why, but anyway. They don't sell fresh milk, and they don't sell any sac poubelles. We had some black bin bags that I'd sensibly brought over from England, but would they be accepted? What to do? I got more and more annoyed, and then decided to look up the word for 'rubbish' (ordures) and 'only' (seulment) and marched downstairs to ask a man I had seen sitting at his window. As I approached I realised that he was actually quite scary looking but by then I was commited. "Excusemoi monsieur!" I greeted him enthusiastically. I then pointed at the bin bags already left out for collection. "Le sac poubelle - c'est seulment blanc. J'ai sac poubelles noir - c'est dacord?" He shook his head. "Non, c'est blahblahblahblahblahfrenchyfrenchyblahblah sac poubelle blanc. Blanc." I said "Oh. Ou ... vendre ... la sac poubelle blanc?" He then gave me a long comprehensive description of exactly what one has to do in order to get a white sac poubelle, not a word of which I understood, so just as I was smiling brightly and saying 'merci beaucoup!' he disappeared then reappeared with a sac poubelle blanc. "pour moi?" I asked. "oui, oui, pour vous." Anything to get rid of the gibbering english girl, I thought. So I happily trotted back round to go back to my flat but got intercepted by some woman who had witnessed the whole thing, and then proceeded to show me that the bin bags were left in our post boxes, which is all very well except we haven't got a key for that, or for the bike shed might I add. She then implied in french that accepting Monsier Downstairs' bin bags was an error on my part, and made me go back and return them to him. So I trotted back round and tried to give them back. As he saw me his expression was one of 'Oh no, here she is again'. I tried to explain that I now knew they were in the post boxes ... geez this story is longer than I thought. To cut it short he told me to keep the bin bag, so I did and felt very proud of myself, until Ben got home from work with A WHOLE ROLL of the things. Someone at work had brought them in for him. Which to my mind is cheating, so clearly I won.

So hopefully the poubelle saga has been sorted. Now we just have the issue of the flat (aka, the room) being taken up with two large mountain bikes, as we haven't got a key to the bike sheds. I just can't understand why they keys for the front doors would have been separated from the keys for the post box and the bike sheds. Surely we need all of them at the same time? Is it a Belgium thing, or a poor organisational thing, or a Belgian poor organisational thing?
I have no idea about measurements - no idea about weights, temperature, or how big our room is in feet. Its about 8 of my stumpy strides by another 8, with a tiny hall area for the coats and shoes and a rather larger bathroom which boasts a large wall mounted cupboard where a large wall mounted cupboard clearly doesn't belong and is just waiting to cave someone's skull in. The shower itself has the power of a slight rainfall and the bedroom is as hot as a furnace, and the window doesn't open properly. It does however have more than enough storage space for all of mine and Ben's things, which I wasn't expecting, and a sofa bed that turns into a double - thankfully, because there was no way we'd fit in Ben's massive behemoth of a bed.

The room stays hot all night, which means that I sleep very fitfully, and when I sleep fitfully, I have bizarre dreams. I doubt I'm alone in this, and I only mention it so that I can also mention something that happened last night, around 3am. I woke up and asked Ben why, why had he put stones in my pillow? AGAIN? and then showed him the offending pillow. Ben blinked sleepily at me, and said, unsurprisingly, "...what?"
I repeated my question; "stones in the pillow, Ben! Look! Oh, it doesn't matter," before grumpily going back to sleep.
I wake up every morning covered in bites, from a mosquito or some such flying evil, but have as yet had no luck locating it and dealing out its overdue death. I'm beginning to wonder whether instead of sucking blood, it's slowly sucking out my sanity.

*Can of worms?! Who puts worms in a can? Why would you want to put worms in a can?!

5 comments:

Jeffers said...

wow.....you must be bored!! and now I know the true meaning of Belgian waffle!! haha

where to begin....well I think you should stomp very loudly to MR White Binbag, and say in a very loud...almost stunted accent " THANK YOU, BUT I HAVE MANY BAGS NOW" and then walk off muttering we won the war and all without your help.....

it may help relations!!

also if a grown man is sat in the window during the middle of the day and he has umpten sacks.....is he a murderer and he uses sac pubelle to hide the parts?

Think about it!! the woman said that was a bad idea.....perhaps he is the belgian version of Jigsaw......Le Jigsaw?

Your room/appartment sounds like a sweat shop....but 8 stumpy strides eh?

I think you should while away the time by annoying the locals and seeing how typically english you can be.....its ok for french/german etc to come to UK and be miserable and everyone says " its ok they are being typically whatever nation" WE are english and we should be proud, the last time we went to belgium we battered the french at Waterloo!!

so bring it on strange bin bag people and watch out for Le Jigsaw......

Jeffers

Amanda said...

He was a very polite and helpful serial killer though! It was the crazy lady who insisted I go back and take him his bin bag back that I'm more worried about.

I wish I had called this blog the Belgian Waffle now. Damnit.

Jeffers said...

see I have my uses...I created the Belgian Waffle blog

hehe

well perhaps she is being crazy to get you to understand the severity of the situation.....or.......she has a weird freaky sex thing going with the weird bin bag man...and she was threatened by the "new fish"....hmmmmmmm

also I was thinking......belgium must be dull......because the only news I can think off that comes out of Belgium is to do with weird sex stories or paedophiles!!

I think the only famous Belgian I know is Jean claude van damme.....oh and tintin....but he was just a git!!

Sam said...

Something that you should go and do is to visit the Menin Gate War Memorial in Ypres (Ieper). They play the Last Post every evening and have done since its opening in 1927, except for a brief period during the sequel when the Germans occupied the town. But they started again as soon as the Germans left. Promise.

Also, try not to eat too many Belgian Waffles. There's about 800 calories in just one of those things, and I don't want you to become a bloater.

Anonymous said...

lovely, i just added a lot of fresh emo backgrounds at my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info