Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Monsters! Check.

I meant to say this yesterday but got carried away with the laundry blog that I'd meant to do the day before that. Ah, the story of my life.

I have also written it out once to my friend in Ecosse, and whilst writing it to him I realised it's not really that funny. It might, however, end up being relevant later (I don't don't how) and it also might help you gain an insight into my psyche, so here goes.

The night before last I woke up with a start, grabbed Ben and hissed "Ben! There's a monster! Ben! Ben!" I then shook him a little bit to make my point and then slowly the realisation that I was disturbing his sleep again filtered through and I said "... Um... It's ok... there's not actually any monsters. Sorry." And went back to sleep.

I've written it twice now and it really loses something in the telling. BUT. In the message to my friend in Ecosse, I had also tried to be clever and written part of it in my poor pigeon French. I meant to say something along the lines of "Hullo Tim! How are you? I speak French!" If I'd been able to work the French out for 'I learn it - from a book!' I would have done, because I'm sure Tim would have got the Fawlty Towers reference. I continued "Yes, truly, I am now a French lady." Which was all I could manage, at the time. And now as well, as my French learning does not continue apace. Anyway, Tim wrote back and said:

As I'm very poor at languages other than English, I thought I'd run this through an English/French translator just to see what it said. This is what I got:

"Good morning Timotee, cava? I am definitely, I speak francais tres definitely, I am a francois woman now, that's true. Check."

I thought that that surely couldn't be right, so just to make sure I translated the French into Russian, then that into Spanish, then that into French again, and then back into English. Here is what I got, which I'm sure you'll agree is far more legible:

"Good days, Did Timotee put sails? I am true, say three francais indeed, - francois the supporting woman, am true. Check."

I didn't put any sails I'm afraid, but it's good to hear that you're true (and the same goes for Francois, the supporting woman)."
So on that note, I thought I'd run through our laundry sign from yesterday. It's been through Hindi, Dutch, Spanish and Arabic, in some sort of order that i forget now (it's not important) and it came out with:

"Customer drought for the washing of their homes, to use only one child, are invited to the timing and customers who prefer to wash laundry"

Drunk with my new found power over language, I ran it through again, this time from Englsih into Finnish into Czech into Greek into German into Korean back to English. It presented me with:

"Drought to wipe binding, a child using their own homes and timetables to invite customers who do not want to wash."

Make of that what you will. Ben read it and said "It looks like a heading. Or.... a subheading."

Check.

1 comment:

Jeffers said...

firstly

I am not happy that you dont want to talk to me anymore......

secondly....I always have great fun on those translators

Babelfish is a great one, it gives you the general idea in the most obscure way hehe

always fun

I had a surreal call today

it went a bit like

good morning Machinery, christian speaking

(man) I would like to change my advert

(ME) and what advert would this be sir

(man) my advert......

(me) which is?.......

(man) the one ive made......

(me) ok, can you tell me what issue it is going into

(man)Machinery

(me) yes I know that sir but what issue

(man)the issue of machinery

anyhoo this went on and did nothing to help my opinion on some northern people......

we also entered a realm of

what company are you calling from...

Its my company.......

yes what company is that.....

My company!!!

at which point I was verging on cerebral collapse!!

finally after 10 minutes of sesame street level conversation I finally managed towork out it was Februarys issue

(man) yes thats it February issue

(me) so you wish to change your advert that ran in February

(man) yes we dont like it

(me) and what issue will this new advert being into(i asked with a sense of dread)

(man) that issue, we just dont like the colours

(me) so you wish to change the artwork on a publication that is already printed....

(man) yes....can you not do that

(me) I may be able to do a lot of things sir, but disturb the fabric of space and time is not one of them

(man)I thought you may be able to, our designers in wales said you could

(me) well i am sorry but they are welsh and therefore not very bright...

(man..slightly giggling) so you dont like wales then.....

(me) not especially no...

(man...laughing) well I am on speaker phone and they are here!!

(me) well the only good thing to come out of wales is my driving licence..

at which point the man fell about and I heard some swearing

anyhoo

must dash