Thursday, January 8, 2009

various confusing hand gestures

Alana (of 'make sure you have more underpants than he does' infamy) agrees with my stance on the horror of village halls, and comments "it’s the smell of the village hall that does it... mainly the smell but also the dreary décor and omnipresent brown flowery curtains. This is what I have concluded."

I particularly love the way she finishes up with her conclusion; you can tell the lass is a scientist.


In jest I told another friend that I have such little social contact with anyone who isn't Ben or my family via Skype that I would be posting today about the young chap who came round to sort out the ongoing cockroach problem. Sadly, what started out as jest has become reality, as I have very little else to actually concern myself with out here. That and the girl at Lidl who insists on rudely looking in my bag every time I shop there - do I look like a thief? Perhaps its the grey and white stripey top I wear combined with my black euroberet - classic burglar chic. But I digress.

I have lifted this almost in its entirety from an email I wrote yesterday to Alana, so I apologise to her as it means reading it twice. I shall change small parts of it and quiz her on them later to see if she's been paying attention.

Basically the cockroach man (I feel bad calling him that as he was very pleasant and made an effort to communicate in English, which none of the others do whenI'm sure they understand me perfectly and are deliberately being difficult) put down cockroach FOOD with which to LURE the cockaroaches to us; a move I am currently unconvinced in regards to the wisdom of, but apparently the food is poisioned (cunning) so then the cockroaches will eat it and die. However, he explained with various confusing hand gestures that the dying cockroaches will probably leave an egg behind in which are THIRTY TO FORTY of the frickin baby things, so they'll all turn up in three weeks, but will hopefully eat the poisoned nomnom before getting it on with the other cockroaches. So fingers crossed that their priorities are food THEN sex, otherwise the whole disgusting cycle willl just keep perpetuating itself.

Gross.

So basically, we are at the moment dealing with the odd one every week or so, but with this new posioned bait we will not only be dealing with quite a few more jumping out at us, in three weeks we will also be dealing with their babies in vast numbers.

I hate Belgium.

2 comments:

nick said...

Gross

Jan Richardson said...

Eeeyuk! can't help feeling sorry for the little blighters though! Oh - and the cockroaches too!